Facebook Page
Contact Us
Call Us

How Therapy Can Help You Overcome The Fear Of Public Speaking

Posted on: Feb 15, 2013

It’s been said that speaking in public ranks way up there on the fear scale along with fear of dying. As social and career demands can put people in a position where they have to speak in public, more and more people are turning to therapy to help conquer their fear of public speaking.

Usually the first thing a therapist will ask is for the person to describe what it feels like when they go to speak in public. Often they will relate how they get dizzy, butterflies in their stomach, they can break out in a sweat and feel nauseous.

Public speaking isn’t something most people do on a regular basis. But occasions such as where the best man has to get up and give a speech at a wedding, or the new employee has to give a presentation can send people into a tail-spin of fear.

So what can you do to get over this fear of public speaking?

You may have come across the odd nugget of wisdom such as imagining the people sitting in front of you are not wearing any clothes. That may work for some people, but more often than not it won’t.


Fear Of Public Speaking

Posted on: Dec 6, 2012

Ever had butterflies in your stomach, that dizzy and nauseous feeling when asked to speak to a group of people?

Even days before, you seem somewhat uncontrollable and disoriented. And when you get to the rostrum or stage, you just want the floor to swallow you up? That feeling that gives you the jitters and that you just want to back out?

Alas, you are not the only one. I guess that would relieve you a bit, knowing you are not an isolated case. A lot of people are horrified having to talk in front of a group of people. You share this social phobia of public speaking with just about millions out there. It is one of the worst fears people have, in fact, in surveys, it came out as the number one fear.

Public speaking is when you speak to a group of people in a deliberate manner either intended to influence, entertain or inform your listeners. And the fear of that is public speaking anxiety. There are lots of ways to overcome this fear and soar high with your public speaking engagements.

These few tips may help prior to your public speaking date. Have a mind set that 99% of your worries do not actually happen, and that leaves only 1% that they do. (more…)


116 Barton Road East, Dundrum, Dublin 14
Copyright © 2023. Ian Epstein
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Website powered by Full Appointment Book Systems